Rainbow Shark

Scavenging for food in the gravel, Soumyakundu's Rainbow Shark is a beautiful example of the Epalzeorhynchos frenatum species. A member of the Cyprinidae family, this fish is commonly stocked in the freshwater community fish tank.

rainbow-shark.jpg

The rainbow sharks blackish-green body is accented by colorful reddish-orange fins. Also known as the Red-finned Shark, or Ruby Shark, this fish is primarily a bottom, and mid-level dweller. They're happy eating most anything. Spinach, lettuce, tubifex worms, algae, and leftover fish food, make them happy.

The Rainbow Shark is a semi-aggressive fish, which can also be very territorial. It's suggested you have just one in the tank, and fish in similar size. Also, it's best to avoid combining the Rainbow Shark with other freshwater sharks, such as the Red-Tailed Shark and Black Shark. Here are a few more characteristics to consider:

• Grows to 6 inches
  • Tank parameters: 73-80 F; pH 6.5-7.5; KH 10-15
  • Minimum tank size is 30 gallons; 50 gallons preferred
  • Requires moderate care
  • The rainbow shark is an Omnivore

Rainbow sharks are compatible with most barbs, danios, loaches, plecostomus, and the gourami. You just have to make sure and leave them space to establish a territory.

Breeding the rainbow shark in an aquarium setting isn't done due to the sharks aggressive behavior. If you've got the room in your fish tank, and proper companions, the rainbow shark can be a fun fish to keep.

Share |
104 Comments for 'Rainbow Shark'
    Erika
    November 10, 2007 | 2:50 pm

This is so cool. It’s amazing how much someone can learn from this.

November 11, 2007 | 1:56 pm

Thanks Erika! Glad you like it.

Monica
    December 6, 2007 | 5:01 pm

Can they mate or not. No sites say if they do and at what stage do they mate. How dose the shark look when prgnant.
    I have a 100 gallon tank and I have three rainbow sharks.
    Two of them look like they were doing a mating dance and now one of the sharks have a big belly. Can she be pregnant.

December 6, 2007 | 8:54 pm

They’re egg-layers. It can be done I’ve heard, but difficult. Here’s an in depth paper on the subject.

kevin
    June 26, 2008 | 3:45 pm

i have 3 rainbow sharks and 3 assorted long finned fish and when i try to feed them the long finned fish eat all the food before the sharks get some. I dont know what to do. Do you have any advice

C
    June 29, 2008 | 9:55 am

I have one of these got it today and i just have to say wen u get it and it sees you for the first time its always very calm my brother also has a silver shark that is jumpy very jumpy but these two sharks get along very well

Frank The (new Tank)
    August 10, 2008 | 6:00 am

I still do not see how to feed this fish, when other fish are eating all the food before it gets to the bottom.

Can someone help?

Ed
    August 14, 2008 | 8:25 am

This is an interesting and informative web page. I have recently bought a 65L fish tank and currently have 2 X-ray tetras and 3 Black Widow ones – they’re not getting on badly. In a few weeks I am hoping to add something more interesting, like a Red – Fined shark or possibly a Red – Tailed Black Shark: 2 things, firstly, which would you recommend for a beginner ?, and secondly, would either of them not get on well with my current fish?

August 16, 2008 | 1:58 pm

Hi Ed,

I had a red tail black shark, and can tell you, they are very territorial. I had him in a tank twice the size of yours. I definitely would not recommend it for your tank.

If you’re looking for something that’s active, you could probably get away with 3 tiger barbs. There are also many other types of tetras. You could continue there too.

10.
    james
    September 2, 2008 | 10:47 am

my red fined shark seems to like his place in the tank i have also 2 rosy tetras and 2 pearl danios

11.
    Chelsae
    September 21, 2008 | 8:34 pm

Well, I just purchased three baby rainbow sharks, about, maybe two inches a piece at most. They are happily settled in a cozy heated ten gallon tank, the only inhabitants. How lone til I need a bigger tank? And umm, why didn’t the petstore tell me that they require different accomadations? Thats really annoying. But i like my little sharkies.

12.
    Jarrett
    October 6, 2008 | 3:11 pm

I have a 30 gallon tank, 2 logs on bottom with places to hide under, fake coral, cave, 2 live bamboo shoots. Rainbow shark, 2 average sized angel fish. Had one molly but randomly was pecked to death. I just intoduced 5 pristella tetras to the tank and the rainbow shark chases them all day long nipping at their fins. the tetras try to hide but after 2 days had to put them in baby net because their fins are almost gone. what should i do? or why is my rainbow shark so dang aggressive? water temp 78, ph 6.8-7.2 fed tropical fish flakes and brine shrimp. any suggestions?

13.
    Leela
    October 9, 2008 | 6:48 am

I had two red-finned black sharks, they are were in a nice medium tank with three guppies, two bottom feeders, and three other fish. After a few weeks in the tank, one shark, and two guppies were gone. I’ve seen the remaining shark nibble the only remaining guppies ail fin. The shark is also much fatter than when we first got him. Is the shark eating my other fish? If so, should I move the shark to another tank? He also chases the other fish, but they’re too fast for him… My guppy however is not so fast.

14.
    October 11, 2008 | 12:14 pm

I think my rainbow shark is gonna have babies. How would you know? Mine has the bulging stomach and it stays in the same place in the corner of the tank in a facing up towards the top of the tank and has been in that same area for about a week and won’t even move to eat. I have to make sure the food drops directly on top of his mouth. Does anyone know what this means?

15.
    Leela
    October 26, 2008 | 6:33 pm

That sounds a little scary, do you ever see it’s fins move? or it’s gills? You need to make sure your fish is still alive…But if you do see it is in fact alive, then I would say it is most probably pregnant, that is, if it is even a female.

16.
    Leela
    October 26, 2008 | 6:54 pm

I’ve been doing some research on your pregnant question, the main question about this will need to be answered immediately for the sake of your fish. My question is simply this; how long has your fish been in this condition? and which part of the tank is the fish in, is it near a plant or fake rock or such? Your fish may be laying eggs depending on the amount of time it has been in this condition. Please get back to me as soon as possible, thank you.

17.
    October 30, 2008 | 3:10 pm

Its too bad that such a beautiful fish is kept on white substrate. If kept on a dark substrate its colors would be so much more intense.

Fishman Jack

18.
    October 30, 2008 | 3:13 pm

Cyprinids do become gravid, but not pregnant. These fishes are egg scatterers and there needs to be a male present to fertilize thge eggs as they’re released. Unlike guppies, these fishes do not have internal fertilization and the eggs do not develope internally after fertilization.

Fishman Jack

19.
    November 1, 2008 | 2:55 pm

Hi Mike,
    I read your interview over on site meter and decided to have a look see for myself. I love your site, it brings back memories of my father. He had a 50 gal. tank in our living room growing up, he had tinfoil barbs, and neon tetras with a rainbow shark, I believe he had some angles in there at one time too. I loved watching the little shark. He lost the neons when the power went out in an earthquake and they were the only things to be seen by the others. In the aquarium.
    Wonderful site you have here!

20.
    Rob
    November 2, 2008 | 8:48 am

i have a 55 gallon tank with 2 albino rainbow sharks 2 zebra dainos 1 ghost shrimp 1 kuli loach 4 red phantom tetras 3 swordtails 3 mail fancy guppies and 5 female and 6 tiger barbs and everyone gets along just fine but i also having a issue with my one shark not really swimming that much and hidding in a cave most of the day alone and its belly is about twice the size if not a lil bigger compared to the other shark but i too could not fine any info on there breeding habbits

21.
    November 3, 2008 | 5:48 pm

Thanks Dragonfly.

Rob, Is it possibly just bloated/constipated?

22.
    Rob
    November 4, 2008 | 7:42 am

im not sure im mean she eats well and it and the other albino shark can be seen playing at night

23.
    November 4, 2008 | 9:12 pm

Rob,

I couldn’t find any more info on possible pregnant rainbow sharks. I can only suggest keeping an eye on her. Especially if she stops eating. I’ve heard epsom salt added to freshwater aquariums can be beneficial. I’ve not tried adding it, but you may consider that if you decide it is constipation.

If you’re feeding more than once a day, try cutting that back too.

24.
    Rob
    November 9, 2008 | 12:08 pm

also is it at all possible for a guppy to get a sword tail pregnant because i got a guppy that is the same colors as my pineapple sword tail and he is totally confused he(guppy) never leaves the sword tail’s side constantly trying to mate with her…and now she is in fact pregnant and my only guess is that he some how succeeded i have a male red and black velvet sword tail but he doesn’t go near any other fish hes a loner lol

thanks for the help with my shark he/she is doing fine i think its just a fattie

25.
    Rob
    November 22, 2008 | 6:54 am

welll my sword tail had her babies this morinjg 4 that i can count should i remoce the mother from the breeding tank?

26.
    Jake Black
    January 24, 2009 | 8:34 pm

I have one rainbow shark, two tiger barbs, 1 gold gourami, and one platy. I woke up this morning and noticed that my rainbow shark which is growing very fast and is about 5 inches was litterally eating the gills of the platy and trying to eat it. I immediately removed the platy to see if it would recover. It is still alive but very stressed. Should I feed my rainbow shark a feeder fish, and will it eat feeder fish. I bought one tonight, about one that’s only half inch long and really quick and it seems that the bigger fish can’t catch it. What should I do?

27.
    tsogono
    February 4, 2009 | 2:33 am

thanks

28.
    March 18, 2009 | 5:06 pm

Hi Jake,

Sounds like your community tank just became a semi-aggressive community.

29.
    Jeanna
    August 1, 2009 | 1:46 pm

My mom’s room mate has had a rainbow shark for a godd many years. Just over the course of the last couple of days, he has started laying sideways. He is also hanging out around the top of the tank. Sometimes he rolls all the way over (like a dog). He is still breathing and he swims around while he’s sideways. Any clue as to whats wrong with him?

30.
    August 1, 2009 | 6:35 pm

Those aren’t good signs. Your friends fish will probably not make it.

31.
    meghan
    August 27, 2009 | 10:21 pm

ok i have a rainbow shark in my tank along with some other fish. and when i feed them the other fish eat all the food and the shark doesn’t even try to eat? so do i need to change fish food?

32.
    Ryan
    September 26, 2009 | 7:56 am

Upon the recommendation of my local pet store I recently added two rainbow sharks and three tiger barbs to a 10 gallon tank. Those are the only occupants. I am becoming concerned that they will dramatically outgrow their accommodations. Am I justified in this concern?

33.
    Andrew
    October 10, 2009 | 5:22 pm

I just got a albino rainbow shark a red tail and a normal rainbow.. they are still young but seem to get along with minimal aggression.. is it possible for this to work?? im thinking eventually ill have to buy another tank…???

34.
    Devenald Sharma
    October 19, 2009 | 8:14 pm

I have a 25 gallon tank. I ws told by a person in the pet store that my shark will out grow the thank within a year. It has already eaten most of my other fishes. The only fish it won’t is my two cat fish.

35.
    Kim
    October 27, 2009 | 8:53 am

I just got two rainbow sharks yesterday, and so far we have had no problems. It is a 10gal tank and we have two angelfish in with them. The sharks have stayed on opposite sides of the tank hiding under our plants. Should I buy them a cave or something to hide in other than just the plants

36.
    October 27, 2009 | 7:11 pm

Your tank is way overstocked.

37.
    October 27, 2009 | 7:12 pm

good luck.

mike

38.
    October 27, 2009 | 7:15 pm

Your tank is overstocked.

39.
    Simone
    December 7, 2009 | 12:53 pm

My tank started with a bala shark and a rainbow shark.. The bala died 2 months in. I bought another rainbow shark and he only survived 3 weeks because he was smaller than my original rainbow “sharkie”. That was about 1 month ago.. Today I woke to feed my fish and there was another little guy in there. She clearly had to of had this baby.. The baby is pretty big so i don’t know what I should do. Sharkie has been hidind behind the filter all morning. Are more babies on the way and should i take the new little one out?

40.
    December 9, 2009 | 7:16 pm

If you think it’s big enough and has the hiding places, I’m not sure what else you could do.

41.
    Greg
    January 30, 2010 | 2:34 pm

Hi,I just bought a 2nd rainbow shark and It`s not working out.as soon as he hit the water he`s chasing everything in site,taking him back

42.
    tiger barber
    March 21, 2010 | 11:19 pm

oh im sorry 50 gallon tank my bad

43.
    March 30, 2010 | 6:22 pm

If you recently bought them, they may have already been sick. I’ve found that tiger barbs will look for trouble if they’re not kept in larger numbers.. 5 or more. Even then you don’t know, but I keep eight barbs with tetras, so my guess is that you’re sharks weren’t healthy to begin with.

44.
    tiger barber
    March 30, 2010 | 8:07 pm

oh thanks i just baought a rainbow shark 3 zebra cichlids and 1 lepord cichlid all are small fish and doing well they all get along fine i azlso bought another tiger barb hes small and green and he loves the two older ones :D

45.
    emma
    April 2, 2010 | 6:45 am

Our rainbow shark has suddenly stopped swimming – it’s almost as though the shark is too “heavy” – he tries to swim up, but just keeps sinking back down to the bottom – the head is pointed up (so he looks like he is on the diagonal – head is higher than the back fin).

When he gives up on the struggle to swim, he sinks down to the bottom of the tank and just lays on the gravel. I believe we have had him for around 8 months, and the problem has just started yesterday. He seems sluggish and it appears that it’s difficult for him to move.

His body doesn’t have any unusual markings, but when you get close to the tank, he moves into a corner that he can hide in.

Anyone have any ideas for what could be wrong with this guy? He had been extremely energetic. We changed the water on Sunday

46.
    Vida
    April 8, 2010 | 8:23 am

Hi, I recently got what I think is a rainbow fish, it looks exactly like the picture above just white instead of darker, but still with the orange fins. Anyway, my question is, I had previously had a beta fish and still have a ton of the food left over (it recently passed away) and I have been feeding the rainbow fish the beta food because the employee at the store we bought it said that was alright but I have noticed now that he will not eat the food. Does that mean he may be sick ? or that I should just try to find something else for him to eat. Also, I do not have him in a large aquarium, just a large fish bowl. Im obviously new to this fish keeping thing, any help would be great!

47.
    dave
    May 29, 2010 | 3:32 am

I have three rainbow sharks, one is 8 years and the other 2 are 2 years. The 8 year old shark in the last week has almost doubled in size. Could she be pregnant.And do they have eggs or is it a live birth. My tank is a 50 gallon and have 9 other fish..

48.
    Kyleigh Vining
    June 27, 2010 | 8:49 pm

My Rainbow Shark had beautiful red fins a week ago, but now his fins have faded to a light pinkiish orange color and his belly is turning kinda white. What do you think could be wrong with him? I feed him twice a day. There are two other smaller catfish like bottom feeds in the 15 Gallon tank with him.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Kyleigh

49.
    July 27, 2010 | 12:55 pm

Try feeding just once a day. I used to feed twice a day, but now only feed once/daily, and my fish are doing fine.

As for the color change, I’m not sure. It’s possibly sick. I’d try searching for those symptoms.

50.
    JakobP
    August 11, 2010 | 9:53 pm

I got one of these today and when i put it in the tank i went to go get the lid and when i came back it was laying on the counter. I tried to put it back in but it was dead. This fish was the last fish i thought would be able to jump out since it usually stays at the bottom of the tank.

51.
    August 23, 2010 | 6:24 pm

Yes. I’ve seen them jump. That Sucks.

52.
    Breanna
    September 14, 2010 | 1:39 pm

i also have a Tiger Barb with my rainbow shark and my red-tailed lack shark. Can some one help me? Can these fish mate with each other? This is my first time having my own fish tank.
    SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME PLEASE

53.
    September 25, 2010 | 4:29 pm

No. They won’t mate.

54.
    Breanna
    October 10, 2010 | 8:47 am

oh ok thank you do you no if the Rainbow shark will mate with anykind of fish? if so please tell me what kind.

55.
    stevie.g
    November 1, 2010 | 10:22 pm

i have the same same fish at my house i wwwwoooovvvveeee him very much and i am going today to get him a play mate

56.
    Missy
    November 8, 2010 | 2:16 pm

Well we’ve had two Rainbow Sharks for about a yr now..someone gave them to us as babies not knowing at the time what they were, we were shocked that they attacked and ate 2 bala sharks we had in there along with 2 small algae eaters and a chiclid. They are VERY territorial and aggressive when together..They are fine with our 2 Tetras though so..

57.
    tia
    December 21, 2010 | 7:07 pm

Ive got a 30+ gallon tank and I have two rainbow sharks, 4 tetras, 3 African chichlid, catfish and a tank sucker. they all seem to be getting along but today the rainbow sharks seemed to be mating or so I think? I dont think they were fighting because they would have done so already. Are they mating???

58.
    harrison
    December 30, 2010 | 2:30 pm

i have four rainbow sharks in my150 gallon tank how do i know when they are mating?

59.
    bob
    February 17, 2011 | 12:40 pm

can my single rainbow shark live in a five gallon tank with nothing else then a plant rocks and water with a filter?

60.
    March 6, 2011 | 2:38 pm

Probably. You definitely can’t add any more fish.

61.
    ALex
    April 14, 2011 | 2:28 pm

a rainbow shark cant live in a 5 gallon,55 minimum.

62.
    Chloe
    May 8, 2011 | 9:23 pm

I have one of these and it’s amazing i’d want it to live forever

63.
    alisha
    July 8, 2011 | 9:54 am

I bought 2 rainbow sharks in my 20 gallon tank is this ok if I don’t get anymore fish!?? They seem to be ok unless they try to go in the others rock house things then the start kissing then go seprate sides of tank??

64.
    jess
    July 10, 2011 | 11:56 am

I have two rainbow sharks and 2 pitcus catfish and one of my sharks is losing color color in his fins and tail. Instead of the vibrant red/orange, its turning clear, is this normal? If not, what’s causing this and how to I stop/reverse it?

65.
    July 11, 2011 | 6:11 am

I’d leave just them with that size tank.

66.
    July 11, 2011 | 6:14 am

Is it a new fish? old fish? water quality ok? could be sick.. have ich, or a fungus? Are you doing regular water changes?

67.
    jess
    July 11, 2011 | 9:44 am

just got them, water’s seems to be ok since i’ve only had it in the tank for a week

68.
    jess
    July 11, 2011 | 9:47 am

am going to change out the water today but how much do i take out to replace?

69.
    jess
    July 11, 2011 | 3:04 pm

nevermind, everything was fine but the ammonia level

70.
    Brandon
    July 12, 2011 | 6:07 pm

We Recently upgraded from a 10G to a 30G atm we have 3 swordtails 5 Tetras 2 Algae Eaters and 1 Rainbow Shark, when feeding for the last 2 days the Rainbow Shark doesn’t seem to be eating, and is hiding in a rock almost looks to be layin on his side, please if you have any suggestions, Water is perfect temp is 76 and plently of coral logs and plants for them all. Everything is getting along, just worried about the shark since thats what I wanted.

71.
    Megan
    July 23, 2011 | 6:18 pm

I purchased a red tail/ rainbow shark fish and I only have a 5 gallon tank… am I really going to have to upgrade to a bigger tank?

72.
    August 4, 2011 | 8:31 am

Yes. That’s usually the problem in a new tank, or with new fish being added.

73.
    August 4, 2011 | 8:32 am

If your shark is new, it may have already been sick.

74.
    August 4, 2011 | 8:34 am

You should.

75.
    cole miles
    October 3, 2011 | 11:47 am

can a rainbow shark eat another rainbow shark even if their the same size

76.
    October 10, 2011 | 10:44 am

If one is weak, the stronger shark may pick at it. If the weak shark is sick, then yes… but only once it dies.

77.
    kate
    October 16, 2011 | 8:49 pm

I have a rainbow shark and a red tailed shark in the same tank together and they are fine but the red tailed shark chases the rainbow shark around ignoring everything like a dance and then the rainbow goes and hides under the bottom platform of a fake plant while the red tailed comes and visits it every now and then

78.
    kate
    October 16, 2011 | 8:51 pm

what are they doing?

79.
    tia
    January 13, 2012 | 10:46 am

i hate this shark…he has killed EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY OTHER FISH…

80.
    aaron
    March 1, 2012 | 7:50 am

I love my little guys. they are happy and healthy and live with goldfish! and there is 2 of them. always together.

81.
    March 2, 2012 | 12:55 pm

my thank has pebbles on the bottom and my rainbow shark sweped it off and is atakting other fishes when the fishes come close did she/he laid egges?

82.
    Theresa
    March 2, 2012 | 8:24 pm

We have a ten gallon tank with two zebra danios, no heater in it. Recently we bought a rainbow shark, my son wanted a shark so bad. The first night we got it, it stayed right near the filter housing the whole night. The next day he was swimming up and down instead of the normal flow of the water. I see the temp needs to be warmer for the zebra than danio. Could this temp difference have killed the shark ? Only waited for 15 minutes before putting him in the tank after buying it.

83.
    jodiq
    March 20, 2012 | 7:24 am

Hi! My son is concernd that he shark is not eating….what do we feed the shark…I wonder if we just dont see him eat like the other fish…please advise!

84.
    April 10, 2012 | 10:26 am

Flakes should be fine. Some fish hide, but it should come for food eventually. Only feed it once a day. They don’t need much food. A pinch of flakes a day is plenty.

85.
    April 10, 2012 | 10:29 am

That’s too small a tank for the shark. Make sure water parameters are ok. The shark may have been sick already if your water was ok.

86.
    April 10, 2012 | 10:30 am

No. It’s just an aggressive fish.

87.
    April 10, 2012 | 10:34 am

They can be aggressive. I won’t get sharks in smaller than 50 gallon tanks.

88.
    Tremaine
    June 11, 2012 | 5:05 am

Hey, thank you for this infomation i have a question i have two rainbow sharks and one of them is bigger with darker fins and one is smaller with really light fins i feed them a lot of food more than i should it gets eaten but i don’t know what is wrong

89.
    June 11, 2012 | 2:00 pm

If the tank is big enough for both of them, and your water changes have been done regularly, you might check for “white spots” on the fish, or any fin rot. Do the fish get along? No stress? A light colored fish is often stressed.

90.
    Nina
    July 12, 2012 | 12:58 pm

Well isnt that just peachy. At my school my mom is the principal and the fish guy put two Rainbow Sharks in the same tank. Well the bigger one isn’t just picking on the smaller one, it is picking on all the other fish.

91.
    July 15, 2012 | 4:55 pm

Not surprised.

92.
    scottie
    August 10, 2012 | 8:14 pm

i have 3 bala sharks,3 rainbow sharks,1 red-tailed shark,and also a black fin shark and they all seem to do very well with each other and i havent had a problem with them at all about fighting or with each other so i guess its just all up to how u take care of ur tank and everythin i dont see anythin wrong havent had anythin go wrong i have had them for about 6 months now and they are doin well

93.
    September 13, 2012 | 6:20 am

hi!i would like to now the gender of rainbow shark if male or female
    and how they spawn

94.
    raj
    September 15, 2012 | 1:28 am

can i put salt with the red tail shark…………i have mbuna cichlids and tiger barb in the tank….please advice

95.
    Doug
    October 7, 2012 | 5:25 am

I have a rainbow shark…just set up the tank last week 65G…the rainbow shark disappears every evening and reappears every morning…we have sand not gravel…4 of us have looked through the tank over and over again but can`t find his hiding place….do they bury themselves in the sand ???? Im stumped

96.
    Jaz
    October 25, 2012 | 9:18 am

Hi,
    I have 2 rainbow shark, clown lauch, African chiclid, alga eater and flower horn in the same tank. The rainbow sharks were the same size.They are fine until after 2 months, the rainbow sharks look aggressive and one of them now is bigger than the other one, especially on the belly part. The big one will chase after the small one everytime they bump into each other. Is there a possibility that the big one is pregnant? To be honest, I’m not sure whether they are female or male. Hope you can advise or comment on this. Thank you

97.
    Wayne
    November 4, 2012 | 4:03 pm

Hi, I have a 180 litre tank which has 3 rainbow sharks, tiger pleco, 4 tiger barbs, 4 green barbs, 4 other barbs and 3 angels. Today I had to pull one of the rainbow sharks out of the tank as it appeared to have a bite mark on its under belly and was turning on its side. He unfortunately died about 3 hours later. One of the sharks is very big and when any fish, besides the pleco, go near it, it chases them away. It probably sounds obvious, but is the big boy responsible for biting him? I was told by my local fish shop that I can have at least another 20 fish in my tank and put in more sharks?! After researching a lot I am a bit concerned and unsure if I want to do this? Any advice would be great!

98.
    Greg
    November 8, 2012 | 8:58 am

I have “JUST ONE” in a 75 gallon tank with 3 Bala Shark (which, are twice his size), 4 Silver Dollar, and some long-skirt black tetras and he thinks this tank belongs to him. Like I said, this is a 75 gallon tank and he will not leave the other fish alone. He is constantly chasing the others around the tank. I love this fish because with the proper care, his colors really glow (red on top and back fins), but I have to get rid of him because he is driving my other fish crazy! If you want a calm, peaceful tank, DO NOT get any of these fish, not even one

99.
    December 31, 2012 | 6:20 pm

yes. They’re a beautiful fish but very temperamental.

100.
    December 31, 2012 | 6:22 pm

Yes. Sharks are very aggressive.

101.
    December 31, 2012 | 6:24 pm

I have not heard of them burying themselves, but I wouldn’t put it past them.

102.
    Jennifer
    January 29, 2014 | 10:31 am

Hi everyone,
    I have just one rainbow shark now in a 30g tank and had to do a full water change and treated the tank. Everything was going very well and was treating for ich in my convicts. His right eye went blue yesterday afternoon and that morning he was fine he is hugging the side of the tank and this morning had a white dot in the centre of the blue eye. After the research I have done his eye doesn’t seem to make sense every condition talks about a white eye not blue. I have put him in a floating breeder thing till Saturday so I an get him what he needs. but i have no clue what I’m dealing with or even if it will go away. The fish store says it maybe stress but they arn’t really sure themselves any ideas?

103.
    Kristin
    May 25, 2014 | 8:39 pm

I have a Rainbow shark & when we first got him/her it was black , now it is Greyish/greenish .. Does that happen with aging? & also how would I know weather it was a female or male?

104.
    May 29, 2014 | 2:13 pm

As they mature, males get a black tint around the anal fin.